File Management: How to Set File and Folder Permissions Using File Manager
Set File and Folder Permissions
- Log in to your account Hosting Summary.
- Click on File Manager in the left panel.
- Select the file or directory you want to modify permissions for and click the three-dot menu.
- Revise the permissions for the file or folder and click Change Permissions.
- The permission has been changed for this file or folder.
Understanding File and Directory Permission Settings
Permissions control who is able to take what actions on a file or directory. The different types of actions are:
- Read: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be accessed and viewed.
- Write: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be modified.
- Execute: Allows the file (or directory's contents) to be run.
Permission groups (user, group, other) refer to the entity requesting a command (to read, write, or execute). Permission groups for your shared hosting account have been predefined. We highly recommend that you use the default permission settings as described below: